Re: [TowerTalk] Poor eHam reviews of the AV 480

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Poor eHam reviews of the AV 480
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 19:19:52 -0400
On 4/12/2014 3:11 PM, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
  With only three reviews, the AV-680 suffers because of one  bad review
for an issue (MFJ/Hy-Gain quality control) that has no bearing on  the
antenna's performance.

With center fed half wave slopers on 40 meters with the top end at 90 feet and an angle of 45 degrees against an AV640 mounted at 25 feet well away from any nearby objects, through an AB switch, at times the difference was remarkable, but not always for the same antenna. IOW This was true when working DX, be it Europe, Africa, Asia, or Oceania. At times, but not very many, they were equal

Typically a plain old dipole or inverted V with the apex at 90 feet would out do either for most stateside. Once in a while the vertical, or sloper would be better to the west coast, but I didn't do that often enough for a very valid comparison.

I would assume (which is never safe) that I'd get similar results with the AV680.

I just ordered an AV680 while we are having our first severe thunderstorm warning and storm of the season. What a time to put up an 80 meter vertical. <:-))I wonder if I'll hear anything besides QRN? That's OK. I'd much rather have the warm weather.

I plan on hooking to both stations through the 6-pack at the base of the tower which will be about 20 feet longer than direct..

I think I'll run Davis BuryFlex(TM) from the tower, straight to the antenna. As the BuryFlex(TM) is behind the tower base I've been working on, it's time to get that finished and out of the shop. I only have 6 more welds to finish and a couple rods that need the ends trimmed off.

73

Roger (K8RI)

For real live on-the-air performance, you can't beat our vertical
comparison test. While we didn't test the AV-680  specifically, there is enough
real data and protocol that you should be able to  make some educated
inferences from the info in the report. And only twenty bucks  + postage from
_www.championradio.com_ (http://www.championradio.com) .
Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH