Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding System Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding System Question
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 19:16:38 -0700
On 4/15/14, 6:46 PM, Tony wrote:
Jim:

The position of the rods isn't  going to make a lot of difference in
 > how the current flows with respect to the house.

So the tower doesn't necessarily have to be concentric with the ground
rods circling the tower?

Nope.. obviously, if one wants a perfectly even current sheet, then symmetry is good. But the soil resistance probably isn't uniform (drier close to the house, usually, so resistance is higher).

The main thing is "lots of contact area" (why the Ufer/Concrete encased grounding electrode is so popular)

Is your tower on a foundation,  or planted on the bare dirt?

The crank up tower It's anchored to a concrete foundation that's about 7
feet deep. The existing ground rods are about a foot away from the edge
of the foundation.

Then most of your practical grounding is coming from that big block of concrete. Think about it.. it has something like 100 square feet of contact area with the soil, while a rod has what.. maybe 1 square foot of contact area.

So the current density of a 30kA stroke is spread out to 300A/square foot for the concrete. or about 2 Amps/square inch.

Compare that to the rod.. 200 Amps/square inch. The soil around the rod is going to get a lot hotter (10,000 times the power dissipation: I^2 R and all that) and the voltage drop is going to be a lot more (100 times higher gradient)

You can use strap if you find  it mechanically convenient, but from a
 > lightning impulse standpoint, round wire works just fine.

I'm glad to hear that because I already have some #2 solid and tinned
copper wire.

Use that.

Thanks Jim.

Tony