Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Myths?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Myths?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 23:14:32 -0400
On 4/24/2014 1:36 PM, Brian Amos wrote:
I have the equipment to drill a 6 inch hole through just about
anything, what if I placed my grounding rods in concrete or grout?

I would think it wouldn't hurt. It might act as a small UFER ground. increasing the contact area of 20 inches Vs 1.9 inches or almost 11 times the area of the single ground rod.

How well that'd hold true? I don't know.

73
'
Roger (K8RI)

Would that help or hurt the grounding?  I do have a ground resistance
meter I use for work for providing soil resistance values for
grounding communication towers and equipment so I could test it I
suppose, but I usually like to know what I'm getting myself into.  I
have seen them drive a steel lathe (about 3/4 inch in diameter) into
slightly weathered bedrock with a post pounder on a bobcat.  The
cobbles and boulders just cause it to move a bit to the right or left.
  Of course the commercial towers I do the foundation design for
usually have a grounding grid surrounding them.  I am tempted to see
if one of the tower engineers will design my grounding system with a
similar system, they tend to suffer little if any damage from
lightening, and being on mountain tops I am sure they are struck quite
often.

Brian
KF7OVD