Re: [TowerTalk] Wired Anemometer for Tower?

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wired Anemometer for Tower?
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 13:39:43 -0400
I don't think it's misleading, but you'd have to look at my prior post.

If you're going for a "fast" measurement technique, you can measure the time
between two pulses.  If you do that, the absolute position uncertainty is +/-
12.5% of a revolution - based on the very nature of having only 8 pulses per
revolution.

On the other hand, if you count pulses over a fixed period of time, the
measurement uncertainty drops (logarithmically, I suspect) with the number of
revolutions in the sample.  It is not constant, but +/-12.5% of a revolution
added to the entire sample, which (without doing any math) gets down to 4% in
just a few revolutions.

All I'm pointing out is that with a digitized anemometer you cannot have both
accuracy AND high measurement speed at the same time.  For accuracy you either
add more resolution to your transducer or sample over a longer period of time.
No free lunch here!

Al
AB2ZY