Re: [TowerTalk] In Shack Tuner Vs. Remote Tuner forMulti-BandAntennas

To: Jim W7RY <w7ry@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] In Shack Tuner Vs. Remote Tuner forMulti-BandAntennas
From: "Djordan (personal)" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 16:21:01 -0400
Not really... The term condenser is interchangeable with capacitor but not used
much; the name didn't change because of the influence of more modern
language... Good try though.

Antenna tuner was used by the military ( Navy) when describing ship board
vertical antenna base matching units.  The couples would match the 50ohm feed
line to the antenna input for a particular freq in use.  I have one of the
older Halicrafter built units from 1933. It still work fine.  I also have a
couple of Harris built fast tune RF 2601 automatic HF Antenna Couplers, a real
work of art.  So,  in this real world example the old term "antenna tuner" was
replaced with "antenna coupler" ;-)...  Sort of like wireless.  Everything was
called wireless until the Navy built the Three Sisters Towers, in Arlington, VA
to communicate with the Ifle tower in Paris.  When those transmissions started
the term wireless was replaced with a new term "Radio".  Those towers were
taking down in 1941 just before National Airport opened...the FAA was concerned
about low felting bi-planes hitting the towers which at the were the second
tallest structures in the world.  Those towers are over 100
 yrs old and still stand at Annapolis, MD Naval Academy.

73,
Dave
Wa3gin

Sent from my iPad