[TowerTalk] ROHN TOWER BOLTS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ROHN TOWER BOLTS
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 15:31:41 -0700
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 16:00:27 -0500
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ROHN TOWER BOLTS

Per Rohn's recommendation, I used double brace Rohn 65G sections above my
top star guy.  I was unaware that this was also available in Rohn 55G.

The bolts on commercial towers like my Rohn 65G have pal nuts to keep them
from loosening and falling out.  Their ham towers do not have them.
Perhaps the pressure from the compressed tubing was supposed to act like a
lock washer.  My new Rohn 55G tower did come with crimped lock nuts which
damages the threads so it does not easily loosen.  The Rohn 55 guy
brackets came with pal nuts.

John KK9A

##  yes... u can get rohn  45 and 55  in double braced versions.   I like the
65G
tower..... just 2 x huge welded flanges..that mate together..and 4 x huge bolts
per flange.

##  My only problem with 65G..besides the weight of the 10 and 20 foot sections
is
they have a whopping 18 inches between steps..... vs  15 inches  for rohn 45
and 55.
That would make climbing the tower a little tougher on us older geezers.    I
think rohn
25 is only 12 inches between  steps..but I may well be wrong.

##  The beefed up double braced versions of 45-55-65 is something else... strong
as a tank.   It works really good for the portion of a rotating tower that is
above the
top ring.   To do that right, you want to use the double braced stuff for at
least 5-10 feet
below the top ring as well.   The unsupported double braced sections don’t flop
all
over the map..esp with 3 yagis  above the top ring.  My buddy has a 20m, 40m
and 80 yagi
all sitting on that unsupported portion of his double braced 55G..above the top
K0XG ring.

Jim  VE7RF