[TowerTalk] Mast/tower design close in guyed by shrouds and spreaders?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast/tower design close in guyed by shrouds and spreaders?
From: "Ray, W4BYG" <w4byg@att.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 15:19:10 -0400
Is there any readily available design/build information for designing a
modest height (35 to 46 feet) ham tower or mast, that would be close guyed
using spreaders?  This would allow guying with close in dimensions, probably
anchored about the same distance from the base as the spreaders are long.

It would be something like what is done with spreaders and shrouds on
sailboats.  I have studied the subject relating to sailboats but the related
sail mast bending forces seem to complicate the subject.

Close in guying is practical and possible with proper design.  I am aware of
an original 1000' TV tower in Jacksonville, FL (ch 4) that the guys (no
spreaders just straight guys) went out somehting less than 200'.  Ch 17's
original 1000' tower (in downtown Atlanta) was self supporting and as I
recall only had a base of about 50 maybe 75'.  So wide 2/3h and 3/4h guying
is not always necessary.  With good information, close in guying schemes
should be in some circumstances, possible and practical.

Anyone have any insight on the subject?

Ray, W4BYG

"The Republic (America), can survive a fool like Barack Obama, who is after
all, merely a fool.   It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools,
such as those who made him their president." Vaclav Klaus, Former Premier
Czech Republic