[TowerTalk] FW: DXE TFS4-160 circuit

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: DXE TFS4-160 circuit
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 00:13:16 -0500
Hi Jorge,

The component ID's should be marked on the circuit board.  C1 & T90 (2 each
in bridge configuration) comprise a hybrid quadrature bridge circuit
providing +/- 45 degree phase shift at resonance (-3db each).

XL = Zo, so for 50 ohm at 1.9 mhz, L = 50 / (2*3.14*1.9) = ~4.2 uH
Both coils are wound in bifilar fashion on either side of a common core with
#16 Teflon insulated wire.

XC = 2 x Zo so at 1.9 mhz, C = 1 / (2*50*2*3.14*1.9) = .0008 or ~800 pF
The capacitance may well consist of multiple caps in parallel.
I would think that caps should be rated ~3kV or better for QRO.

Starting from the feed point corner of the bridge, the adjacent corner
(through the series inductance) produces -45 degree output which drives the
two "side antennas" in parallel.    The opposite side of the bridge (through
the series capacitor from the feed point) produces +45 degree output (note
that 45-(-45)=+90 shifted from the "side" antennas) which drives the rear
antenna and the forward antenna in parallel.  The forward antenna, however,
is routed through a 1:1 inverting un-un to achieve the 180 degree phase
shift on the forward antenna.   The impedance of each output is transformed
by 1/4 wave, 75 ohm feed lines to match the antennas.   The far side of the
bridge (opposite the feed point) is connected to a 50 ohm dummy load which
absorbs any RF resulting from unbalanced operation.

The output from the quadrature bridge & inverting un-un are, of course,
taken through a series of three DPDT relays to facilitate remote directional
switching.   The relay control circuitry is protected by MOV's and RF bypass
caps.

Hope this helps you & also that your box checks out OK!
Please email me direct if you would like a copy of hand drawn schematic.

73
Matt
KM5VI