Re: [TowerTalk] Tail Twister Question

To: Mike Fahmie <wa6zty@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tail Twister Question
From: <jpk5lad@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 17:31:48 -0700
Hi Mike --
The manufacturers of the TX2 (CDE, HyGain, MFJ) always specified it to be
operated vertically to maintain that the weight of the mast and antenna array
would provide the proper downward thrust on the bearings.
The only problem I see in a sideways operation is the terrible stress a heavy
set of antennas and/or an overly long mast which could provide a fierce moment
arm on the body of rotator.  If the rotator was sufficiently down inside the
tower and you had a good bushing or bearing on the top to capture most of the
array support weight, that might be enough but I'd still be a bit afraid of
doing much turning.  It might depend on quite a few factors:  array weight, how
far down it's mounted, etc.  An engineer might be able to put some figures to
that but it seems like the term, "It depends" figures in a whole lot.

If the tower was horizontal enough so that someone else could help support the
upper part of the mast while someone turned the TX2 from the shack, I wouldn't
think that would place excessive stress on the rotator's body.

I hope this helps.  These notes are not based on any fancy engineering
calculations, just my opinion.  It's barely worth twice what you paid for it.

Good luck and 73,
Jim - K5LAD