Re: [TowerTalk] first post

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] first post
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 07:21:38 -0500
I agree with John.  We have no idea what the parameter for his tower
installation are.  A 100 foot crank over tower is a prodigiously expensive
setup.  It is real nice but a guyed tower is fine (particularly if you have
local tower guys who can do the work for you). I went through this process
sometime ago.  I decided on a guyed tower and a local tower company put it
up for me. I contracted for the installation so I wouldn't have any
surprises. Tower is still fine.  As to the antenna, I really like the
Steppir but I am afraid of them.  I wish I could work the WARC bands but I
really like things you can set and forget. The only Steppir that I am
familiar with is one that my friend has and it is on a crank up at 60 feet.
In 7 years he has had to take it down twice for storm related damage. The
last storm destroyed the Steppir and he is going to have to replace it.
Neither storm damaged my C3 and XM240 and they are at 120/130.

I know that Steppir owners are really verbal about how great they are but I
think that all antennas have things that are great and some that aren't. I
bet I have to wait longer inline on the WARC bands than the guys with the
Steppirs! :-)

Bill W5VX