Re: [TowerTalk] Solar Power

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Solar Power
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 13:14:31 -0700
On 6/19/2014 4:16 AM, Tony Brock-Fisher via TowerTalk wrote:
I'm considering converting to solar power for my home. A major concern from the RF point of view is the potential problem of noise from the large scale inverter used to convert the DC from the panels to AC for the house and to be fed back on the grid. The potential installation would use a Solar Edge SE7600A-US inverter, which is certified FCC part 15 class B.

You are right to be concerned. Solar systems are notorious for generating big RF noise, but they can also be done very well. Unfortunately, FCC part 15 Class B isn't very stringent, so a certified product can still put out a lot of trash.

The installation methods also matter a lot. ALL wiring on the DC side should be twisted pair, all AC wiring should be twisted triplet (high, neutral, ground, or high, high, ground if 240V). Ferrite chokes wound following the guidelines for coax chokes in Chapter 8 of k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf should be on both DC and AC wiring.

Your contract for the system should require that there be no RF noise, and you should withhold at least 1/3 of the total cost of the project as security.

73, Jim K9YC