Re: [TowerTalk] Solar Power

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Solar Power
From: Steve Gorecki VE3RX <ve3cwj@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 20:58:37 -0400
I would look carefully into the RFI from those inverters. I saw some
Youtube comparison of RF noise from inverters from a North American made
model, and a European made (Germany) model. It was night and day, so to
speak, the European model was quiet on 6M compared to the buzzing of the NA
made model. If it buzzes on 6M, imagine what it was like on lower
frequencies...
While my inverters (brand is Fronius) run during daylight only (I am power
line synced), they do produce a fair bit of birdies on 160M and 80M, hardly
anything heard on 40M, nothing noticeable higher. Of course, once it is
night, my inverters shut down and no more RF noise on the low bands. Not
too bad for 10kW of power being generated. Thus, in my case, it all works
out ok. Most of us can put up with noise on 160 and 80 during the day -
bands are not that usable at that time.
I believe the EU RFI standards are a lot tighter than anything in North
America. Research your inverters well before buying.... The issue however
is that most manufacturers don't list much detail about how much RF they
produce.

Steve VE3RX