Re: [TowerTalk] Mixing Rohn 20G and 25G

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mixing Rohn 20G and 25G
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 15:55:30 -0400
On 7/3/2014 1:28 PM, Linux Mercedes wrote:

Had I known I wouldn't be able to continuing to climb through my 70s, I'd
have found a way to install a heavy duty 100' crank up instead of the 100'
45G.  To me, going up needs to be safe, with a good safety margin.  I use
guy brackets and do not tie guys to tower legs so the whole tower receives
the sideways/lateral force, not just one leg. If you do not use a pier pin
base, wing transfers a lateral force to the back side (side away from wind)
  and an upward force to the front side (side on which the wind impinges).

Fortunately I'm young and stupid so I'm not too worried about tower
climbing. I do need to pick up a guy bracket for the middle bay; I was
debating making my own since Rohn wants something outrageous for theirs,
but I'll probably pick up one from Norm's Fab as they're a bit cheaper and

IF you have a pattern and access to an Oxy/Acetylene torch for bending they aren't all that difficult to make. Of course you'd probably need to use paint instead of real galvanizing and enough bending as well as holes to drill that it would take a bit of experience. Those 3 strips are relatively heavy.

I think I have 4 spare sets for a 45G. Not sure if there are any for a 25G, but I don't think so, without looking. I just gave away a 50ft 25G with 2 guy brackets and the flat top plate with the TB-3 bearing. I should admit, I gave it to the guy who gave it to me, so I felt a bit obligated even if I did add the two brackets, top plate and TB-3. and dirt base<:-))

Went out and checked. I have 9 pieces for the 45G which would make 3 guy brackets, bolts, washers, lock washers, nuts, and lock nuts. No 25G stuff left except one old style accessory shelf (bolts to side of tower legs instead of internal faces.)

I don't have to spend the time designing it myself. Fortunately, the tower
I was given came with a flat top that has loops for guy wires built into
it.

  Although if leg weight loading is a concern, I guess I should work out
how much downforce a 20G section can support, since it'll be less than 25G.

18Ga Vs 16ga  (3,900# for 18ga 20G.  I don't have a figure for 25G)

Neat. 20G will collapse before the 3/16" EHS guys you'd use on it will
break. I guess that is why it's not recommended for much!

Yup, You use that Radio Shack, 1/8th inch steel guy wire. With a good hold, a guy my size can pull it in two. I've done it. That's when I had both arms and hands working. You pull, until you feel it stretch. Just a few # more and it'll separate.
IE: That''s BS or Before Stroke

73

Roger (K8RI)