Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Multiple Buildings

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Multiple Buildings
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 02:58:24 -0400
On 9/13/2014 10:53 PM, Gary Schafer wrote:

"I would think the farther apart the buildings, the more likely the differential in time and magnitude of induced voltages would be more of a problem than conducted voltages. Conducted voltages would lose much of the higher frequency component due to inductance than lower while induced would not, leaving more of a voltage difference at the high frequency ones. It would also smooth out the rise and fall times. Conducted would also loose magnitude due to capacitive coupling to earth.

Whether green wire (earth) or neutral, running from panel to panel they are essentially ground.from the main panel. I have 2 main panels and unfortunately the station grounds provide a common, low impedance ground between systems.

Both systems "in my case" require green (earth ground) and neutral tie together in the panels. There is no power wiring running directly between buildings and they have their own feeds from the pole transformer. However, both my feeds and my neighbors feed are all off the same winding and that puts them in parallel. So essentially, my shop and house have the same hot 120-0-120 (240) feeds in parallel, The pole and both panels are tied to ground rods. Essentially a very leaky, high resistance ground back to the transformer.

With this arrangement, I see no real problem with green and neutral (white) tying together in both main panels even with the low resistance system ground between buildings...IF they coded the phases correctly. IE, blue in the house and shop tie to the same connection at the pole transformer. The same for red. Of course, if one is correct the other has to be correct.

Neutral is usually the steel messenger cable in above ground feeds. Under ground uses the copper wires for all three. At least it was here before going underground. There are many places where the drops are much less than 12 feet. The concrete delivery truck took out our old feed which was only a pair of #6s and the steel messenger cable.

The highest voltage on each phase has been 120 and the lowest has been 117.but is rare to see anything other than 120. I have a 3KVA line conditioner for the equipment in the den with true sin wave out. So it maintains a 120 VAC sin wave out whether in the line conditioning mode or as a UPS. Now all I have to do is get it hooked up!

73

Roger (K8RI)
.
I don't know if you are including me as one who is "railing against you" but
this is exactly what I have said from the start.

 From my very first post on the subject: