Re: [TowerTalk] Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 08:46:49 -0500
* On 2014 18 Sep 08:05 -0500, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
> but there is quite a distinction between temporary towers erected for
> short-term purposes and fixed towers that comply with all applicable
> regulations.

At the closest wind farm that came online about a year ago the
"temporary" monitoring masts are still in place.  While they are
painted they do not have any lighting.  As I understand it, since the
windmills have been constructed, the entire area out to some distance
beyond the farm is a "no fly zone" for dusters so those "temporary"
masts are safe.  However, they were in place for some time--almost two
years as I recall--before the mills were put in place.  There may be a
time table for their removal, I don't know.

Another wind farm is slated to come online near here and the
monitoring mast that has been up for almost a year is barely visible
and it is about 1.5 miles from the highway.  I will have to take a
closer look to know whether it is painted.

I've read of grumbling by dusters about these masts that seemingly pop up
"overnight" on an agriculture forum.  Other than appeal to the FAA,
they will need to be even more vigilant.

73, Nate