[TowerTalk] Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:53:17 -0700
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:18:09 -0400
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident

The story is a sad note for sure, and hopefully a learning   lesson for those
who do climb.

I have been using a full body harness for a loooooog time . dual Lanyard's
fall arrest on the back D Ring

and a dual snap spreader  with a Gorilla hook

I no longer FREE climb (  I would be hypocritical if  I claimed   I never DID .
 I  normally step to the tower base   and adjust my strap lengths to the tower
diameter lean back taunt  on them ... Un hook them and FREE CLIMB to the FIRST
set of guys or side mount/tic ring.... )

And I no longer climb ALONE .........

My  .02

Wayne   W3EA

##  Lemme get this straight.   You loop both lanyards around the entire
tower... then climb up it ?   Another fellow several posts back stated he
looped the lanyard around the entire tower, climbed up to 1st set of guy wires,
then
attached a 2nd lanyad above the 1st guy station assy.... then un hooked the
1st lanyard below the assy.   A lottta good that does you...although I have
seen it done by several folks here in town.    IF you fall, you will simply
slide down the  side of the tower.... till you hit the ground..or one of
several  guy stations.

Jim  VE7RF