[TowerTalk] FW: Is A Tower Weaker in Some Directions?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Is A Tower Weaker in Some Directions?
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 20:55:12 -0500
One would surely need to know if the tower is guyed or free-standing, which
was not apparent in the original message.  A look at one tower
manufacturer's stress analysis for a freestanding tower shows that leg
factors of safety are calculated assuming compression of a single leg as the
limiting case.  It would seem that the limiting wind loading case was
considered as broadside to one tower face.

Although mechanical engineers receive training in stress analysis, you
really would want a structural engineer to weigh in.  Failure theory
considers different modes of failure, which, ultimately translate to the
principle stresses seen by individual members of the assembly.  Failure
modes such as buckling and torsion do not necessarily follow intuitive ideas
of simple tension and compression loadings under a bending moment.

KM5VI