Re: [TowerTalk] how much rust is too much?

To: towerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] how much rust is too much?
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 11:10:46 -0400
> Where I've actually removed all the rust to bare metal, I haven't
> actually lost that much thickness it seems like. I'll take a caliper
> over tomorrow to see what the worst measurement I've uncovered so far
> is... and get an updated photo as well.

## There is EvapoRust which you can get at Tractor Supply in gallon
quantities, more expensive in quarts from AutoZone. It is a
non-destructive rust remover and non-toxic (if anything really is
non-toxic). With non acidic properties it will not etch good metal.

If you wrap the rusted metal in rags and wrap that with cellophane,
soaking the rags just before covering, it's take a couple days of
moist contact to loosen most of the rust. Lightly brush with a wire
brush and repeat. After doing this a couple of times you'll get down
to bare metal and you'll see what you really have left to decide
from.

That stuff works incredibly well and I like that it does not etch
non-rusted metal in the least.

Good luck with the project.

Gary
KA1J