Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed + self supporting /2 ??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed + self supporting /2 ??
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 20:33:09 -0400
On 10/16/2014 7:02 AM, Steve Maki wrote:

I see this as a safety issue and doing things differently than the manufacturers design and limits is risky, even if they do design in a substantial CYA safety factor. Changes can cost your insurance.

Sorry, I can not accept what one engineer says "off the cuff". If I read it correctly he did say the tower had to be designed that way and you talked about it being silly to design one that way. So, which is it? Just hooking guys to a tower (to add strength) could just as easily reduce the strength unless the installation were properly engineered. Even if as he says, you could add guys, would there be any net gain in strength unless the tower were designed that way to begin with? If there was a net gain, would it be enough to be useful. The steel angle used in most self supporters is not designed to withstand a pull on it's own. We'd need a band around the tower at that point.

The purpose of guys is to add strength and stability. It's far better and safer to start with the proper tower system to support what you plan on, rather than beef any tower beyond its design limits. There would be no other valid reason for adding guys. Reducing the base is just another way of fiddling with the design limits. I much prefer to use towers within their design limits.

For any of us to just add guys to a self supporter is not smart and you both said as much, but we shouldn't make statements that are likely to encourage hams (without an engineering background) to go ahead and just add guys. It puts them in the area of research and could likely void their insurance.

In the past, I've experimented with towers and antennas, knowing full well if it faile my insurance would likely not cover it.

Most ham, self supporters are crankups.  There are a few exceptions.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/skyhook.htm but that is one that took a lot of engineering and planning. The guys in the engineering department donated a lot of time on that one. There are 3 semi loads of steel in that tower (and a lot of money)

73

Roger