Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed + self supporting /2 ??

To: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed + self supporting /2 ??
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 19:31:33 -0700

On 10/16/2014 10:28 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:

And I'm going to stick with a specif statement as what you have is an
opinion.  "Never guy a self supporting tower unless you have the
installation engineered" or the manufacturer's blessings.  You only have

Roger (K8RI)

I am currently having an engineer model my guyed self supporter.
I agree that it must be engineered.  A number of design issues
that appeared to be intuitively obvious turned out to be wrong
after modelling.

I should also mention the difference between old fashioned engineering
and modern computer modeling.  It is analogous to the revolution in
antenna design using NEC.  Many legacy towers, some of what are still
in production, have outdated engineering calculations.  Thus the
manufacturer is not always right, and it makes no difference what
the manufacturer originally intended w.r.t. guying, if the model
says it will work.  It is also interesting to note that one tower
manufacturer told me that the reason why they used to sell guyed
crank up towers in the old days, and don't sell them any more is
purely marketing.  IE, there is no demand.  Thus manufacturer's
intentions can be misleading.

Rick N6RK