Re: [TowerTalk] One off balun question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One off balun question
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 09:36:23 +0000
I agree that simple S11 impedance measurements tend to produce false (low) resonant frequencies. And the higher the Q of the choke the bigger the error.

But I can wind a high-Q air-cored choke, measure its resonant frequency using a GDO (or another "non-attachment" technique I developed where nothing gets closer than 9 inches to the choke) and then see an almost identical result using an S21 measurement on the VNA. Attaching the VNA will typically add 0.2pF or less equivalent parallel capacitance.

That S21 technique also produces results that match Fair-Rite's u' and u'' data very well; but of course the Fair-Rite data doesn't tell us anything about winding capacitance! The change in C that I'm getting between different core materials swamps any likely measurement error.

If anyone has estimated C for a particular choke design I'd be happy to replicate the choke and compare results.

Steve G3TXQ