Re: [TowerTalk] One off balun question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One off balun question
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 09:11:25 +0000
A number of folk have expressed interest via PMs in the spreadsheet I use to perform the calculation of choke R and X from the VNA data. In case there is wider interest it's available here:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/temp/s21/s21_choke_charts.ods

It's a Libre Office Calc file; if anyone has trouble reading it I can export an Excel version, but some of the chart formatting may be lost.

The derivation of the calculation of choke R from S21 magnitude and phase is shown here:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/temp/s21/choke_calc.png

The calculation of choke X easily follows from the value of R, because X/(R+75)=tan(theta)

Please note that the VNA calibration is performed with a direct connection between Port A and Port B - it does _not_ involve the 50 Ohm terminating resistor on the jig; the effect of that resistor is taken into account in the subsequent calculations. The two coax leads connecting the VNA to the jig _should_, of course be used for the calibration run to eliminate any amplitude or phase errors they might otherwise introduce.

Finally, here's a tidied up sketch of the set-up:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/temp/s21/vna_jig.png

Steve G3TXQ