Re: [TowerTalk] correction......Tennadyne Log periodics

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] correction......Tennadyne Log periodics
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 14:34:44 -0600
Working DX is no indication of antenna performance. CQ Marathon is a year
long event, the more hours you operate the more countries you will work.

John

To:     towertalk@contesting.com
From:   Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date:   Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:47:57 -0800
On Fri,11/21/2014 10:29 AM, Paul Veal M.Ed N0AH wrote:
oppss-- I knew I should kept my pen silent on 2013 Clublog results-sorry,
using the T-8, on 10M, we tied for 3rd in CONUS for number of DXCC's
worked-, and first place NA in the CQ Marathon for SB on 10M- The T-8
retails for $1,450 per their website-

2013 Club Log STATS
10M- 206 DXCC's tied 3rd place NA First was N2BJ with 213 DXCC's reported-
12M  165 DXCC's  13th place NA
15M  205 DXCC's  tied 25th place NA
17M  164 DCXX's  Tied 32nd place NA
20M 175 DXCC's Tied 85th NA

I know we all have different ways of quantifying results

Statistics like this are meaningless with respect to any given antenna
because there's no frame of reference to your location, antenna mounting
height, and because such factors as the skill of the operator and the
amount of time the station is on the air, on the right band(s) at the
right time have such a huge bearing on the results.

The only ways I know of to quantify (or even show) small differences (a
few dB) in antenna performance are 1) to set them up one at a time like
N0AX and K7LXC did or 2) to set them up with identical mounting
conditions, alternate transmissions between them, and compare multiple
Skimmer spots for thousands of such transmissions, averaging the result;
and 3) set them up as in (2), but switch between them on receive and
record and average the differences for thousands of received signals.

 73, Jim K9YC