Re: [TowerTalk] Coax loss

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax loss
From: Mark Spencer <mspencer12345@yahoo.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 10:46:15 -0800
Yes, I have measured actual coax loss using both dummy loads and antennas at
the end of the cables.   IIRC in almost all (maybe all ?) cases (baring obvious
issues with connectors and adapters) the measured results were some what better
than data sheets suggested.  I also repeated some of the measurements using
various watt meters and a spectrum analyzer to convince my self the
measurements were reasonably accurate.

IIRC the cables involved were various flavors of Belden 9913, RG 58, RG 213 and
1/4" thru 1/2" heliax.

Connectors and adapters seemed to be the only source of issues for me and in
most cases I believe I would have spotted the problem ones without actually
needing to measure the loss.   This was done back in the 1990's.

One outcome of these tests were that I bought my self a nice collection of
genuine amphenol adapters that I still use.   I also replace any PL259
connectors that don't look right and avoid cheap adapters.   At one point I
also invested in some expensive silver teflon PL259 barrel connectors for an
installation where the use of barrel connectors was unavoidable (they were made
by Kings IIRC.)

I've just recently gotten into high power VHF operations (ie. 300 watts plus..)
and am taking another run at this as I'm pushing the rated power limits on some
of the jumper cables I'm using.   (I managed to damage one jumper cable by
modestly exceeding the power limit for a brief period of time.)

Your results may vary.

Regards
Mark VE7AFZ

Sent from my iPad