[TowerTalk] Fwd: Coax loss. Has anybody measured it ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Coax loss. Has anybody measured it ?
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 09:00:11 -0500
Dan,

Not that is should matter that much (as a few % extra losses doesn't really
affect the S reading) but do you see and decay due to corrosion of the surface
of the wires?

I know that Al wires are less affected as AlO2 is non-conductive contra to CuO
that is a semiconductor. Needless to say Fe wires show higher losses as steel
is a bad conductor in it self and corrode heavily. I believe zink (as in
galvanized steel wires) is a lousy conductor too. Useful in Beverage antennas
though.

I, myself, am using insulated #14 OWL for my feed to an OCF dipole. As I have
my shack next to the tower I only have ~ 4 feet of horizontal runs.

73 de,

Hans - N2JFS