Re: [TowerTalk] Best Balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best Balun
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:54:05 -0500
On 11/27/2014 12:31 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

I've wound a number of the "choke baluns", or just call them common mode chokes They don't take a lot of coax, or a lot of cores to be very effective. I've used them on inverted Vs, center fed, half wave sloping, fan dipoles on 75 and 160 half slopers. I use Jim's numbers for core an turns to cover the bands of choice. The center fed, half wave sloping fan dipole at 90 - 95 feet on top with the bottom near 10 feet is a long way from being balanced. It did take two chokes to keep RF out of the shack, but I'm working on a 6 or 7 core with 1/4" spacing between cores. These are open to the elements. So far, the only drawback has been ice accumulation. I've been using plexiglass with slots milled to fit the cores, but I think I'm going to switch to lexan. It's so expensive they even charge for scrap pieces, but I'm afraid the plexiglass is too fragile. I haven't had a chance to run the VNA on one loaded with ice. Usually the priority is to get the big generator running so we have, heat, lights, and refrigeration. That's one time you really appreciate a chest type freezer over an upright,

As to the comments below, the common mode choke keeps RF out of the shack and on the antenna where it belongs. I disagree with Jim on the transmit remark.. It can make make a difference on transmit. With a sloper it can make a major difference. At first, I wanted to use a transformer balun to feed the so called balanced antenna, but Jim convinced me to try the common mode chokes. I purchased a 100 2.4" OD #31 cores and started winding. At 5 to 6 cores for most uses up those cores in a hurry. A few neighboring hams saw my success with sloping dipoles on 40 and took home a few. I should have purchased more, but that's an easy $500 or more depending on where you get them and the price varies. I was more than pleasantly surprised, The antenna appears as if it is truly balanced even though it took a little extra effort with the sloping, fan dipole on 75. At about a KW out, every LED in the shack lit up. At the legal limit, they were much brighter than their ratings. One choke dimmed them. Two chokes and I could hit "Tilt" without a glimmer.

I did have 5 in the air at one time, but right now I'm sorta between antennas, I'm waiting for the yard to firm up to pour the base for the LM-470 and get a climber to install the rotator, mast, and 7L 6-meter C3i on the 100' 45G. and replace the AV640 with an AV680. I add a 6 core, 5 turn choke directly under the feed point for additional isolation. I have used LMR400, BuryFlex(TM) and RG-400 for the winding. 6 and 7 turns of LMR-400 or BuryFlex takes a lot of cable pulling soap, plus a lot of elbow grease.

Yes, even making your own costs more than the cheap ones, but compared to the good ones from DX Engineering and others they are about half the cost. IOW Quality and performance costs!

73

Roger (K8RI)