Re: [TowerTalk] Fast, cheap, and or good... Pick two.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fast, cheap, and or good... Pick two.
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 09:26:15 -0600
Gene, John, Larry, and Kim, thanks for your inputs.

I'm not looking for a tower that is easy to climb but a tower that doesn't need to be climbed. I have climbed enough towers both with "killer" x braces and with comfortable horizontal foot spaces. I have a pair of jump boots from my military days with a second sole atop the original, added on Vibram Montagna lug soles and quite stiff. Great ankle protection and with the thick stiff double soles they feel great for a while standing on small narrow places. I have a safety harness with fall arestor and safety belts with multiple lanyards. It isn't a lack of ability or equipment that motivates me. What motivates my interest in towers that don't have to be climbed is a desire to stop climbing tall towers.

Woody Allen offered a compromise when he said. "What if I stop when I'm just near sighted?" I don't want a compromise, easy climbing, or infrequent climbing, I want to stop climbing. I have some neuropathy which causes some foot numbness that is mostly not noticed by others. Over time it will get worse not better. With some degree of introspection I wondered when my climbing would be impaired. Not yet, but when? Given the expected useful lifetime of a tower as reported several times here on TT I can see it is altogether probable even without health issues that the tower will last me for the rest of my life. Is it provident or prudent to ignore reason and install a tower that will need climbing when most would agree that I would be a bit old for such?

It is virtually impossible to find an insured bonded tower climber in this area (including Oklahoma City.) I don't want to cover the liability of someone climbing my tower. Not prudent. A repeater antenna on the OU campus Norman, OK needs a light replaced on top. The only climber found who is insured and bonded wants $2000 for the job. I won't be hiring him or his ilk and will be looking for a tower solution that does not involve climbing.

Again, thanks for all responses made or to be made. A reminder. I need good wind survival for 20 sq ft of antenna weighing 250 lbs. I am willing to guy the bottom section but no more.

73,

Patrick   NJ5G