Re: [TowerTalk] Tower installtion question

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower installtion question
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 22:23:39 -0500
I redid my roof on my 58 year old home.

Half shell Spanish tile is banned except for architecturally significant
use... Many have been re-done with S tile, and the tiles are required to be
adhesively attached to one another and the decking using an approved
adhesive.

The attachment decking to trusses/rafters, and strap attachments to walls
are specified and inspected - usually by the city and then by an insurance
company inspector.

The cost for my 2000 sq ft home was a shade under $30k, all in, 2010.

All to survive 130mph wind... And keep a little rain out.

VE7RF wasn't too far off in his description of what things look like after
a powerful hurricane. Wilma took a number of trees out on my street in
2005, and all my wire antennas. My 30' Rohn telescoping pole had guys break
and was bent in an L shape.  Blew windows out of many downtown
businesses... Wore all the paint off one side of our Super Stationmaster
repeater antenna at 400'...

But cars generally don't flip from wind. Water maybe.

Wilma recorded winds of 124mph about 5 miles from my house. The eye passed
right over us.

Lampposts, mailboxes, fences, outside AC units, signs,
billboards, everything must be fastened down and certified for wind.

This is not a conspiracy over ham radio towers.

On Friday, January 16, 2015, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@subich.com> wrote:

>  ## Do they want your living room windows to survive a 139 mph wind
>> too ??
>>

> Yes.  140 MPH is "Miami-Dade" specifications for windows, doors, etc.
> and is incorporated in the building codes of most of Florida these
> days.  Seminole Country, FL is no different.  The insurance industry
> has pushed that on a growing part of Florida following hurricane Andrew
> and every other major hurricane for the last 30 years.
>
> Unfortunately, building regulations have stupidity built in ... like
> tile roofs that act like an fission reaction (when one tile breaks it
> creates shrapnel that breaks five or six more tiles resulting in the
> loss of tiles in an entire neighborhood <G>).  Applying the same 139
> MPH standards to a 50 foot tower surrounded by trees and tow story
> homes as applied to 1500' commercial towers is a bit absurd but that's
> the rule statewide.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 2015-01-16 12:23 PM, Jim Thomson wrote:
>
>> Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 07:50:54 -0500
>> From: bcarling@cfl.rr.com
>> To: towertalk@contesting.com
>> Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower installtion question
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> My local city Building Department wants me to prove that my proposed (24
>> foot) tower
>> installation with a 3 element beam for 17m & 12m can withstand 139 mph
>> winds before they
>> will issue a permit.
>>
>> Does this sound even remotely reasonable and compliant with PRB-1 ?
>>
>> Thanks for your views - Brian Carling AF4K
>>
>> ##  Do they want your living room windows to survive a 139 mph wind too ??
>> Every tree in the neighbourhood would come crashing down, and u would
>> have zero
>> shingles left on your roof.   Your fence would be half a mile down the
>> street, and your
>> car would be flipped over in the driveway.  Your roof would be ripped
>> right off.
>>
>> ##  What happens when trees  topple your 24 foot tall tower ?   Do they
>> also want the
>> 3 el yagi to be able to survive 139 mph wind too..or just the tower +
>> mast ?
>>
>> ##  I can see where they could then make a case for the yagis  to handle
>> 139 mph.
>> If the 150-200 lb yagi came crashing down..onto philystran guy wires, it
>> would slice em
>> in half.... bringing the tower down.   In effect, they are doing an end
>> run... effectively
>> banning all ham towers.   Once they have effectively gotten rid of new
>> ham installations,
>> word will spread to other towns nearby..as Mayors like to brag about this
>> stuff.  The other’s
>> will follow suit.   “want to get rid of ham towers...just impose a MIN
>> 139 mph rating on their
>> tower, ants, mast,coax, guy wires, rotors, and anything else you can
> [...]

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Fort Lauderdale, FL
*“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me,
and I will learn.” *Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.