Re: [TowerTalk] w7ekb & ground rods

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] w7ekb & ground rods
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 10:18:09 -0800
On Thu,1/22/2015 9:33 AM, Brian Carling wrote:
So the text books say....
However some of this is counter-intuitive

Science is not intuition.

and very counter-empirical.

When you add wire to an antenna, you change the antenna. When that antenna is a "long wire" or vertical, anything connected to the chassis of the radio becomes part of the antenna. These antenna types need a counterpoise to carry return current for the long wire -- either a resonant length of wire or radials. If we don't supply the return path, the antenna will use whatever is available to it, connected to earth or not. One of those accidental return paths is the green wire that is part of the AC wiring in your home. It does NOT need to be connected to earth to carry return current -- it's often long enough on it's own to be an effective antenna. That power wiring will radiate your signal, conduct it to equipment where it will cause RFI, and it will receive noise. The only thing an earth connection does is change the length and shape of that half of the antenna.

The same thing happens with antennas like a dipole when there is no common mode choke on the feedline. The feedline, and everything connected to it, become part of the antenna.

73, Jim K9YC

Best regards - Brian AF4K