[TowerTalk] RF Ground is a Myth

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] RF Ground is a Myth
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 23:35:23 -0500
I need to answer this: No, you don't need any form of ground and can still have
a good lightning protection 1) if you and all (and I mean "ALL", including
power source) your equipment is inside a shielded container (of some sort) and
2) your antenna is of a balanced type with no need for an RF ground. (A
satellite is a good example even if lightning strikes are uncommon there.)

Real life is different. You need safety ground so you don't get electrocuted.
You ground(-s) for lightning protection so a lightning strike only make limited
damages. You need an "RF ground" so you have a return path for your antenna, if
now your antenna require that.

I think the Lightning and safety ground is covered well in earlier mails. The
RF 'ground" is different. I side with the crowd that says that RF ground
doesn't exist. A return path for the RF current from an antenna that needs
"ground" can be made although each return path vary depending on what we want
to do.

Yes, I would like to have a good, general purpose RF ground. Life would be much
easier that way. All antennae have a  return path for the RF current. Most have
a intentional return path; the dipole has the other leg, the GP has its radials
etc. Some have an unintentional return path. That's when you can get your RF
bites.

I dare to make the conclusion: Ground your shack and your equipment for safety
through ground rods, Ufer ground etc. Make sure you have a return path for your
RF current. This way you will minimize surprices operating your radio.

Hans - N2JFS