Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Winsome and vertical radiator question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Winsome and vertical radiator question
From: Bill Bennett <bennevl@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 02:50:44 -0500
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 15:23:31 -0600
From: Patrick Greenlee<patrick_g@windstream.net>
To:towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Winsome and vertical radiator
        question

No insult intended, Bill, I just want to mention something important and
if you don't know it could bite you.  Of the two baluns, the upper one
between your approximate 90 ft wire and your approximate 180 ft wire,
has to be one that does not eliminate common mode currents flowing on
the outside surface of the 22 ft coax.  OOPS, your 21 ft coax (mine is
22ft.)

That common mode current provides the radiation needed from that
vertical 21 feet of coax.  I cant quote mfg and part number but you do
want to use the correct type balun.  Baluns that prohibit/attenuate
common mode current on the outer surface of the coax are terrific for
their intended purpose and I use them but NOT between the unequal legs
of a Carolina Windom.  The vertical 21 feet of coax is a part of the
antenna  N O T  part of the feedline.  The feed point is at the lower of
the two baluns.

Usually my OCF dipole does about as good as my Hy-Gain Hy-Tower for 10%
of the cost or less except on 10M where my tuner can't make a go of it.

Good luck, Bill, hope to hear you on that OCF dipole.

Patrick    NJ5G