Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Winsome and vertical radiator question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Winsome and vertical radiator question
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 20:32:32 +0000
The proportion of current that flows back down the shield compared to that which flows into the attached dipole leg will depend on the relative impedances of those two paths. In the case of a half-wave fed one third from one end, the two leg impedances are almost identical: 319Ω/-87.7 degrees for the short leg and 334Ω/+72 degrees for the long leg in a 132ft dipole I modelled. That suggests there'd be little difference whichever side you connected the braid.

But of course, if you put a 4:1 voltage balun at the feedpoint the braid isn't connected directly to either leg :)

Steve G3TXQ