Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Winsome and vertical radiator question

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Winsome and vertical radiator question
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 17:06:16 +0000
Kelly,

You are quite right to take me to task!

I was addressing more points than you asked - probably because I was anticipating a wider readership. To try to summarise:

1) The OCFD is particularly prone to CM current because of leg *reactance*, not directly because of *imbalance*.

2) It does not need a device at the feedpoint to "force" or "drive" CM current - phrases we often come across in connection with OCFD feedpoint baluns and ununs - high CM voltages are inherent in the design.

3) I don't what is inside W4THU's DMU. I guess I was addressing the comment Joe made about it earlier: "/At one time the Carolina Windom "story" indicated the feedpoint DMU was designed to force unbalanced current and "force" vertical radiation. That would be consistent with an autotransformer instead of a voltage balun/." However, modelling shows an autotransformer is very little different from a 4:1 voltage balun in that respect.

73,
Steve G3TXQ