Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna to Shack Ground Connection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna to Shack Ground Connection
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:30:49 -0700

I don't have the expertise to be sure about it, but it always seemed to me that it would be best to run the ground wire (grounded at both ends and maybe a few places in between) in the same trench as the coax ... but some distance above them ... in order to provide a sort of shielding effect for the coax against induced currents from nearby lighting bursts. I was once told that the electric utilities run a ground line at the top of utility poles above the actual power lines for a similar purpose.

Possibly induced currents in the ground wire would still couple to the coax anyway, but I certainly don't see how running the ground wire with the coax would be any worse than running them separately.

73,
Dave   AB7E