Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: welding aluminum

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: welding aluminum
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 08:55:14 -0800
On 1/31/15 8:23 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
I agree that "loss of temper" is low on the concerns list for amateur Al
welding.

Having a MIG or TIG welder capable of welding Al is a lot different
(speaking from my failures) than having the skill to make structural
grade Al welds.    It also takes professional grade and high amperage
equipment given the conductivity of Al.  My Miller Econo-TIG (and me)
weren't good enough for 14ga 6061, I sold it.  I have complete
confidence in my MIG steel welds.

It sounds like the 33'x40' H frame design is tube to tube structural
welds and that may need a professional.  Otherwise, consider Al plates
and galvanized u-bolts like most element to boom clamps, which also has
the advantage of it can be taken apart for repairs, etc.  Phillystran
guys are probably required for that large of a frame.

I very much enjoyed watching a welder demonstrate the latest HF pulse
TIG Miller welder as he welded together Coors cans.  I think that is
0.004" thick Al.  The Olympics of welding for sure.

ACtually, beer & soda cans are thinner than that.. and they're thinner at the top than the bottom.

http://www.chymist.com/Aluminum%20can.pdf is a fascinating article from Scientific American

Where I used to work, TIG welding aluminum foil (0.001") or gum wrappers (even thinner) was the challenge.. A very steady hand on the rod and a steady foot on the pedal...
(mind you, I can barely weld steel)