Re: [TowerTalk] Tower climbing lanyards

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower climbing lanyards
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 07:02:04 -0600
Whatever you use for safety lanyards, if you are not competent with knots such that you could tie a bowline knot around your waist one handed with your eyes shut, then don't just tie a lanyard around your waist. Make a mistake and fall and the knot you thought wouldn't slip will and in so doing will compress your chest impinging on cardiac function and breathing. You don't want the irony of being saved from plunging to your death only to die hanging from your tower before help could help. In rescue venues folks have been hoisted to safety only to be pronounced dead at the scene because of a bad knot.

Better to buy something like Gary mentioned (in his post below.)

Oh, I can tie a bowline around my waist with one hand with my eyes closed and I use store bought safety lanyards.

Patrick    NJ5G