Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna

To: Chuck Dietz <w5prchuck@gmail.com>, Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 15:08:27 -0600
Chuck, Stan, et al, Adding a Beverage wire above any of my fences is not too tough and I have a choice of the 4 cardinal directions. My property is square with 1/2 mile of fence on all 4 sides plus cross fences in the middle. N-S fences are not the best candidates but my antenna farm is near an intermediate E-W cross fence so that is the likely recipient of the experimental setup. There is a little up hill and down dale but nothing radical.

So thanks to all who have been contributing to this thread directly by relating opinions or personal experience or indirectly by reference to available material on the topic.

I have just a couple questions left unanswered. Is mounting a Beverage antenna above parallel grounded wires (5 strand barbed wire fence with steel posts every 15 feet) similar to a beverage mounted low to the ground where there is really good conductive ground? Any thoughts on how high to mount the antenna above the top strand of barbed wire? (in wave lengths not feet)

I have an open position on a multi-pole remote controlled coax relay so I can switch the beverage in and out comparing it to the Hy-Gain Hy-Tower multi-band vertical and a 270 ft Carolina Windom.

Patrick    NJ5G