Re: [TowerTalk] Cutting a FT-240 type 33...in half ??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cutting a FT-240 type 33...in half ??
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 04:44:20 -0500
The only way to cut a core, neatly is with an abrasive saw. I think they'd eat the teeth right off a band saw blade. Diamond is better yet, but my memory of magnetics is a gap is a gap, no matter how small. I don't think it'd have a big effect, but there's likely someone who remembers/knows these characteristics better than I.

HOWEVER. if you are going to add two cores or even one core, it's going to require more coax, or fewer turns, (unless the current choke is wound very loose.) fewer turns means much less resistance, or isolation. Even cutting them, I doubt I could add even 1 core to mine. I am winding one that spaces the cores a 1/4" using Lexan spacers. I should have it on the web site before long. That one, I could probably add two cores by cutting the space to an 1/8th or 1/16th inch. It'd be a real PITA though as the cores are epoxied to the Lexan and I'd have to make new spacers. Lexan is expensive.
.
Were it me, I'd just pull the thing out, get some more coax and wind a new one. It will be neater and most likely, more effective. I'm doing that with an AV640 matching network for the transformer and choke. Possibly an R8. Several R5s and R8s in the area and all required rewinding the transformer to get a proper match.

73 & good luck,

Roger (K8RI)