Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Coax cable economics. (was Mosley Antenna Questio

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Coax cable economics. (was Mosley Antenna Question)
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 01:40:43 -0500
Some antennas work better than others, some really big commercial antennas have had dismal performance, among them some of the really big Mosley pros for a while. One down the road a ways from me was comparable to a dipole, but I understand they've ironed the kinks out out of those antennas.

Some hams work lots of DX with big antennas and QRO, while some work it QRP.
Some work it in spite of their antennas.
Some swear by trap verticals I've mostly sworn at! A/B Tests showed they were really comparative poor performers "at my location and installation." I've worked DX around the clock on 40 during the last sunspot cycle low with a sloping half wave dipole and many tines ion the first call. One station laughed at my apparent confidence in just giving a 1 X 1 call. It wasn't confidence, it's just I get tired of hearing stations give their calls half a dozen times. I've also had days, where it didn't seem to matter what I was using, they didn't hear me. I've been in conversations that had stations from all continents save one...On six meters. You can run the best coax money can but, but it's all for naught if you can't install connectors properly. It's the same for big antennas. It's possible, easily possible, to build a station so elaborate you have problems using it efficently, or even making reliable contacts. It's easily possible with a number of rigs that give the ham tremendous control of the signal to totally turn it into garbage so the only ones who think you have a great signal, run the same rigs. I've heard it!

Good coax, or the cheap stuff?  How much difference does it make?
UHF, N-Type, or 9-16 connectors? If you are running HF, or VHF, how much difference does it make?

Speaking in generalities, The loss in normal connectors is so small that up through VHF often even into 2-meters for 200 foot runs, coax and connectors (except the little stuff) will make so little difference the other "stations" will not be able to tell the difference. The same is true for most RG-8 size coax cables. 0.7, 1,or 2 db per hundred. Remember, 1 db is "just barely noticeable" UNDER IDEAL CONDITIONS. Typically on HF 3 db won't, or can't be noticed. 6 db on 200 feet "might" as it's a whole S unit, but when on 160, 75, and even 40 (often even 20) how often is the noise floor below S1, or S2?

I have copied stations in the noise level that was well less than S-1 on 6-meter Aurora that were not visible on the scope. I copied the CW as a slight change in the bacground noise. There 3 db would have made a difference. Possibly, Quite likely, even 1 db, but those conditions are not normal on HF.

BTW, I like 7/8ths Heliax because it's rugged!, but I dislike all 1/2" hardline for the same reason. "At this location", I've found 1/2" hard line, be it Heliax or CATV line to be far too fragile and easy to link. When I lived West of Farwell MI, the base of my tower was a good 50 feet above the top of the house and over a hundred yards from station to tower. I ran plain, old 3/4" Aluminum hard line (75 ohm) direct buried. It came up about a year and a half later looking as good as when I put it in.

But back to coax, on HF, regardless of what you spend on runs up to 200 feet. RG8 size Will be pretty much the same as far as being able to see a difference. Coax that will last is important, but the difference between the best and normal stuff is trivial.

It's well to strive for the best we can afford, but not being able to afford the best is not really a handicap. Put in the best antenna you can afford as high as ideal, if you can afford it and as close to the station as is practical. Install connectors properly.

Listen, listen, listen. Listen for when the stations call that work them on the first or second call. Try to learn WHEN to call and keep your calls short. Skill and timing are great equalizers when it comes to power.

73 es gud luck,

Roger (K8RI)

---