Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Coax cable economics. (was Mosley Antenna Questio

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Coax cable economics. (was Mosley Antenna Question)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 00:00:40 -0800
Those fractional dB numbers, which are for 100 ft of cable, add up when the coax gets long. The run to my SteppIR is 350 ft, and I use it on 6M. That's why I scrounged the used 7/8-in hard line to feed it.

I'm using Belden 8213 on my high (135 ft) 80/40 dipoles. The closer match of 75 ohm cable to those antennas (approximately 85 ohms feedpoint Z) through 160 ft of coax saves me fractional dB, and more at the band edges.

The important point here is that every engineering problem is DIFFERENT. One size does not fit all. I'm using Commscope 3227 (#14 solid copper center, shield like LMR400) for the 200 ft lines to my 160M slopers.

73, Jim K9YC