Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Coax cable economics. (was Mosley

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Coax cable economics. (was Mosley
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 08:00:14 -0800
One additional consideration not mentioned so far is the QRN situation at the DX end. When the noise is S5-6+ at the DX station, a few db can make the difference for making the Q or not. Same for QRN levels the EU guys and some DXpeditions have. Many times I can hear them fine, but they can't hear me (QRO & 4 elements @ 100') over their QRN/QRM.

Again, the ERP does count and it can come from better yagis, taller towers, stacks, or amps. Then subtract the losses. A coax upgrade for 3db is much cheaper than a 5 element monoband owa, doubling amp power, a tiny fraction of the cost of 30' more tower, and insignificant vs a second yagi in a stack.

Grant KZ1W