Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 20:51:39 +0000

>  For long path, I switch in
> a stub on the reflector that disables it, making the antenna a dipole.
> I started calling CQ, and at first worked JAs and UA0. The effort paid
> off -- three EU Russians,

Yes, but you are comparing your dipole with the same dipole plus reflector.
The example I was referring to was the case of a yagi, consisting of a dipole
(plus reflector and director) that MIGHT have losses in it.  So the user would
have no reference for comparison.  Big difference.
Without making range measurements on your antenna (which is very impressive I
might add) you got some decent empirical data by the stations that you worked.
Now let me ask you this - have you considered how to make meaningful
measurements on your array?  Say, to determine the frequency of best f/b?  I
think you also have a Steppir.  How do you know it is tuned on each band for
the best performance?  (the three models that are programmed into the
controller for each band).
Rick  K2XT