Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 02:58:52 -0500
Don't know when Mosley was introduced, but I installed the array between 2000 and 2002 with all LMR-400, which IIRC was fairly new. I "think" the Mosley design had been around for quite a while although I've never owned one.

When I installed my first 3L tribander in late 61 or early 62 I think all tribanders used traps. I don't remember the make or model, but it had molded blue traps. They "appeared" to be fiberglass, but appeared and actual construction may be different. The color and design sound like the early Hy-Gain. Soldid, molded, must have been pretty poor at radiating heat from losses.

I don't remember my first tri-bander after moving to Breckenridge MI either, but shortly there after went to the monobanders. I originally had a 204BA, before the KLMs It seems like maybe Mosley came out with a trap vertical early on? 60s,70s, or 80s?

It also seems as many of the reports, good or bad were anecdotal, but many, like Jim's are rather concrete. By their very nature, most reports were anecdotal and individually a bit unreliable, but large numbers would indicate a trend. As I said before, there are many, many ways a station with good equipment can be a poor performer. Many of the great claims for performance came from "in spite of the design, not because of it" Many of the manufacturers back then relied on simple designs as computers, let alone today's sophisticated modeling programs were not available.

After looking at what works today, I'm amazed that much of the old "stuff" even appeared to come near the commonly inflated performance claims. OTOH we mostly ran a fraction of today's common power levels with little processing. There were the proverbial California Kilowatts, but nothing near the numbers today

Relatively speaking, when inflation (value of the dollar) is taken into account, fairly simple amps cost as much or more than the top end, computer controlled, auto tuning amps of today and typically ran power levels comparable to the over rated starter amps of today. Not many coul afford amps capable of burning up traps. That and the FCC was a lot more enforcement conscious of power levels.

73

Roger  (K8RI)