Re: [TowerTalk] Water in Conduit...

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Water in Conduit...
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 19:08:45 -0500
There's lot's of reasons to not bet your life on no leaks. That's a big reason plumbers stay busy.

Youse guys are talking about piddly ass 100' runs. But even with a 100' run, expansion/contraction can break a pipe. In electrical conduit, code in these latitudes insists on slip joints to avoid breakage.

My company pulls cable through existing conduit on cell sites all the time. I'd say 50% of the underground conduit here in MI on cell sites is full of water. It's not big deal, since the cable is all direct burial anyway, except in the winter when the water is not water but ice, and you must wait until spring. Yes, a lot of it is poor installation. But when you deal with this all the time, you realize shit happens.

-Steve K8LX