Re: [TowerTalk] modeling compare: 80M, 2EL vs 4SQ

To: <n2ic@arrl.net>,"tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] modeling compare: 80M, 2EL vs 4SQ
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 19:16:32 -0500
Hi Steve,

I’ve searched and cannot find any info on South Carolina other than that old
map. It shows shows all of the area where I was as 8 mS.
There is indeed soil there – farming is going on all around there. And it shows
the area in SC as 2.

There’s a really nice site:

http://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/WebSoilSurvey.aspx

where I can go and indeed see that the soil where I was in AZ is actually 100
mS (1 dS)! Not 8 but MUCH better. THAT I don’t know.

Unfortunately that program won’t give me a value for where we’re looking to
move to. It does however show the soil type and it shows the areas where
that soil is. Looking elsewhere for that soil type (Cecil Sandy Loam) where I
can find a value it is generally the same as the map: 1 – 2 mS.  So 2 might be
optimistic.

We currently live in Texas so measuring it will be a while. I’m just thinking
on what I’ll do when I get there. Thanks for the comments.

Gary