Re: [TowerTalk] A Capacitively Fed 102 Degree Vertical for 160 Meters

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A Capacitively Fed 102 Degree Vertical for 160 Meters
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 17:26:21 -0700
On Sun,3/22/2015 4:56 PM, tedc@nucleus.com wrote:
My design is based on the fact that at approximately
102 degrees of length a vertical should exhibit a
feed point impedance of 50 +j100.

I've been using essentially this technique with my primary 160M vertical since 2007. Until this fall, it was 86 ft vertical with enough top loading to bring the feedpoint Z to 50 +jX. Then my tree guy told me that I needed to cut down the tree that held up one end before it fell on my water tank and broke it, so he moved it to a taller tree that made the vertical height 100 ft. The horizontal wire is now 82 ft.

To broadband it, I made the vertical portion two #10 copper spaced about 10 inches apart. It measures better than 1.5:1 up to about 1.9 MHz, and still loads well above that. I'm a contester and DX chaser, work SSB only in contests, so that's plenty good enough for me. :) A tower, of course, is a physically larger conductor, so will be even more broadband than my wires. Also, the value of jX when R hits 50 ohms well depend on the form factor (all vertical or top loaded), your radial system, and your dirt.

73, Jim K9YC