Re: [TowerTalk] A Capacitively Fed 102 Degree Vertical for 160 Meters

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A Capacitively Fed 102 Degree Vertical for 160 Meters
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 11:09:24 -0700
On Mon,3/23/2015 8:03 PM, Doug Smith wrote:
I use an inverted L for 160 with an old Heathkit SA2550 at the base of the
vertical element.  The 2550 is an electrically driven large variable
capacitor, remotely tuned/turned from the shack.

I had one of those in my shack for a while -- it came from the estate of a silent key, and I was helping his XYL sell his stuff. It looked quite robust, so I thought I'd like it. Turned out that it started arcing with high power on antenna that my Ten Tec 238 had no problems with, so I sold it for her rather than buying it myself.

73, Jim K9YC