Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling tri-banders

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling tri-banders
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 00:48:53 -0400
One thing modeling will do in spades, is show how honest the manufacturer is at present. Gain figures are very difficult and expensive to obtain empirically, not to mention the effort involved. "In general" modeling is the easiest and most accurate way to obtain valid numbers for comparisons between antennas and models.

Will that extra element or two be worth it? Will the extra bands degrade, or enhance the figures. In some cases they enhance the multi band antenna to numbers that are close to what a mono band antenna for each bad could do. OTOH all this extra come with a downside. They cost more and weigh more. Sometimes they weigh a lot more. When I was younger, the price was more of an issue than weight. When I had a degree and a good job, the price became a lesser issue, but let's face it. Hams "in general" are not an affluent lot, so for some price is the leading factor. Some hams are, shall we say, frugal while some are downright cheap! The last group is why some manufacturers can get away with rating amps at far more than they are capable, or with ratings guaranteed to be a boon for the tube industry.

Antennas are little different. Most hams are well aware that all antennas are a group of compromises. Some are inexpensive while others are downright "cheap". Any high school kid should know the difference between inexpensive and cheap. Alas, with today's educational lack in addressing practical issues, there is a strong likelihood that not many will.

With little to spend (the essence of hams in the "old days"), it makes sense to model the antennas, and follow the newsgroups to find out how well the antennas stand up to the tests of time. True, the new ham may have little knowledge of modeling, so an "Elmer" would hopefully lend a hand. But be careful with glowing reports on some on-line groups. Antennas and Amplifiers in particular tend to have either glowing reports, or trash reports. Inexperienced hams and old timers alike are loathe to admit they made a mistake and were "screwed" by company A, or B with an over rated and flimsy product.

Antennas have to stand up to the weather, be it wind, heat, or ice. We don't have all that many strong winds in Michigan, but we do have ice. It's difficult to describe that sinking feeling when you see the element ends of your favorite antenna pointed straight at the ground, but good alloy will often provide elements that snap back when the ice falls.

A new hazard is acid rain, where unprotected solder joints may dissolve in a few years. It's been my experience that RHOS solder does not fare well, but that is only one hams experience.I've had the solder joints fail on several recent commercial antennas.

So, modeling, combined with user reports can be invaluable in the selection of that next new antenna.

73

Roger (K8RI)