Re: [TowerTalk] antenna choices for K4XS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna choices for K4XS
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 07:06:57 -0400
I can add some additional color to K4XS commentary.  For a few reasons ? I
know Bill and he won?t mind and I actually own/owned a few of Bill?s
antennas from his original W4 QTH before moving to KH6.

I bought a 6 el KLM 10M and a 6 el KLM 15 from N4BAA who had bought up many
of Bill?s antennas back then.  I think I paid $400 for the 2 of them back 5
years ago or so.  They worked as expected and I was very happy with them.
But the design is flimsy and they had road wear so about 2 ½ years ago I
swapped them out with something newer.  But the point of that is I was LOUD
for cheap.

Many years back I helped K1TTT with some antenna work and Dave was trying to
literally ?just get rid of? some aluminum.  2 of them ? which I received
were a Telrex 4 el 20M and a Telrex 8 el 15M (interesting side note that
these antennas started life on W1AW?s towers in the 1970s and 80s).  I also
rounded up some other Telrex elements which ended up being a 3 el 20M beam.
I still use and ?own the band? into EU with that 15M beam on a 45 foot boom.
The 20M is now modified for better bandwidth at a sacrifice of about 0.5dB
of gain but still ?kicks tail? on 20M to EU.  The 20M 3 el had some rust
issues finally and got replaced with a 3el Home Brew to the south.

A final note on Hygain/Cushcraft.  I have purchased these antennas as
?starting points? for large yagis.  I bought a 10M 5 el ?Long John? beam and
added some extra aluminum purchased from Texas Towers.  The combo is now an
8 el ? 44 ft boom 10M ?Elephant Gun? fixed on Europe.  It ?makes a
statement? to say the least.

You don?t have to spend $10k in antennas to put a smile on your face in pile
ups or contests folks.

73

Ed  N1UR