Re: [TowerTalk] More from the M2 antennas quality control file

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More from the M2 antennas quality control file
From: Chuck Smallhouse <w7cs@theriver.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 23:40:35 -0700
I have personally known Mike and Myrna for at least 40 years, way back when they were the M of KLM. I consider them as some of my dearest ham friends.

I can't imagine Myrna ever raising her voice. Mike can be a bit feisty, especially when someone challenges his integrity, as apparently you did, when you realized that you couldn't read instructions as well as you thought, and came down on him.

As someone posted, cross polarity antennas that are designed and manufactured by some, do not probably have the same size vertical and horizontal elements, adjacent to each other, but often 90 degrees, or a 1/4 w/l apart. This allows a simplified phasing harness to be used, if the operator would like to operate the antenna in circular polarity.

I strongly doubt that you have even tried to assemble this Cross Pol antenna, let alone made any measurements because if the element lengths are as wrong as you indicate, or placed in incorrect locations, you would not see a good VSWR at the antennas design frequency. I would question about how you claim that you measured its pattern and side lobes. Certainly not using sun noise, as that single antenna has insufficient gain to do so.

I hope that you will now take your undeserved rants away from this reflector. I believe that the readers are beginning to understand from where you are coming.

Chuck,  W7CS